Prior to installing Broadsign Edge Server on a computer with Linux, there are several steps that can be taken to ensure the installation proceeds quickly and efficiently.
Broadsign Edge Server is compatible with the following 32-bit Ubuntu versions:
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Broadsign Edge Server is compatible with the following 64-bit Ubuntu versions:
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
It is recommended you have the following behaviors enabled on your PC’s BIOS:
- Restart on failure: Recovers from an unexpected power failure.
- Do not halt on failure: Allows the server to boot without a keyboard or mouse.
In order to deploy Broadsign Edge Server on Ubuntu, we recommend the following:
While deciding how to partition your hard drive, keep in mind that all Broadsign Edge Server files and content are kept in
/opt/broadsign/ directory by default. We recommend that you maximize the amount of storage on the partitions where the
/opt/broadsign directory is installed.
- Remove CD and reboot to begin Second Stage of installation.
- Log in using the created user name and password.
- A minimal server installation should be selected as the installation type.
- When prompted to “Set up users and passwords”, create a user of your choice.
When creating a user, do not use “bses” as a user. The installation of the software will create a “bses” user for you at a later step that will be responsible for executing Broadsign Edge Server.
By default, the password for root is locked in Ubuntu. This means you cannot login as root or use the
su command. Instead, the installer will allow the created user to use the
sudo apt-get updateto update the OS.
sudo apt-get install sshto install ssh.
sudo apt-get install hal. This will install the hal package which allows the software to identify the hardware present.
Disabling services you don’t need improves system security as well as system performance. The only service which we recommend to run is openssh server (sshd).
After Ubuntu is installed as recommended, the following steps will enable Broadsign Edge Server on a Linux system:
- Download Broadsign Edge Server package from https://portal.broadsign.com/.
- Place the edge server package (named
- Install the package by executing the following command:
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Broadsign Edge Server is installed as a service on system. It can be manually started and stopped by the root user with: