Message Creation Tutorial
This quick start tutorial provides a basic introduction to message creation in Broadsign Publish. By following these steps, you will be able to schedule a single piece of content onto one of your screens.
Note: To schedule this content, you will use the message wizard. See About the Message Wizard.
Note: As a prerequisite to this message creation tutorial, your admin will need to have followed the Quick Setup tutorial. See Quick Setup Tutorial.
To access the message wizard:
- Log in to Broadsign Publish with the credentials your Admin provided.
On the Your Messages page, select Create a new message.
The message wizard opens to the Content page.
Note: Once you have accessed a page in the message wizard, while creating a message, you can advance and reverse pages as needed with the Previous and Next buttons.
The content page displays a list of content you can use. Your admin has set up the list of available content for you.
To add content:
On the Your Messages page, click Create a new message.
The message wizard opens to the Content page.
Using the search function, narrow down your list of choices.
If the content you need is not in your library, do one of the following:
- If you do not have the permissions to upload content, ask your domain Administrator to add it for you.
- If you have the permissions to upload content, add it yourself:
By dragging content in the drag and drop zone at the bottom of the content list.
By using the browse your files link at the bottom of the content list to access content on your computer.
If you add content and you don't have the Can upload without approval permission, then your content will need to be approved before you can use it.
Select the content that you want. The editable information fields corresponding to this content are displayed on the right.
Update the fields, as required.
- When you have finished updating your fields, in the lower-right, click Next. The Screens page appears.
Next, you will select a screen.
If your administrator has shared a template in which it is possible to choose between the default image or pick a new one from your library, the Browse button is available.
Do the following:
- Click Browse.
- In the window that is displayed, select an image from your library.
If the image you need is not in your library, ask your domain Administrator to add one for you.
- Use the top-right image thumbnail called Original to crop the image and move the result around to have the best fit possible. The result is previewed in the Preview thumbnail below.
- When you are satisfied with the result, click Use this One.
The Screens page displays the screens available to you. Your message will appear on the screens you select.
Note: If you are unable to see a screen that you think should be on the list, contact your Administrator.
To select screens:
- Ensure that you are on the Screens page.
From the list of available screens, select the ones that you want.
- Select an individual screen by clicking its check box.
- Select multiple screens by clicking each of their check boxes.
- Select a folder by clicking its check box. All the screens in that folder will be selected.
- Select all screens by clicking the check box above the list of screens.
Filter screens based on their selection status (Selected & Unselected, Selected, and Unselected).
Your message will appear on the selected screens.
- To advance to the Schedule page, click Next.
Next, you will schedule the message.
Schedule the dates, times, and days of the week during which your message will appear. You can also set your message duration.
To schedule your message:
Ensure that you are on the Schedule page.
- For this example, schedule the message with the following settings:
- To advance to the Confirm page, click Next.
Note: If your message is not playing according to the schedule that you have set up, contact your administrator.
The Confirm page allows you to preview the message, check the number of screens and review the schedule.
Note: The buttons offered at the bottom of the page differ depending on the permissions that have been assigned to you.
If you are satisfied with your message and its schedule, click one of the following buttons, depending on what is available on your screen:
- Publish: You have the permission to publish a message without approval. The "Your messages" page opens and your new message appears in the list.
- Send for Approval: You do not have the permission to publish a message without approval. The "Your messages" page opens and your new message appears in the list with the icon. Your admin will need to approve the message before it is published.
- Prepare Message: You are preparing an emergency message. You cannot publish it right away. It can only be saved for later publishing when it is activated. For more information, see Activate an Emergency Message.
To edit your message, click the Edit icon and make the changes you want.